Saturday, October 13, 2012

En Kerem


Since my birthday was on a class-filled Tuesday, I got to celebrate it in the best way possible on Monday, our free day. A group of us had the opportunity to help out at an orphanage for severely handicapped kids. Miriam, an Austrian from our branch, volunteers in the orphanage of En Kerem, which is 20 minutes from Jerusalem. En Kerem is filled with green gardens, flowers, and good vibes. Felt very European-esque. I was impressed with the facility and the staff. Most of them are volunteers who work day in and day out. Their charity permeated the orphanage as you watched their heart-felt interaction with these sweet spirits. They were so grateful for us coming because the kids were able to receive one on one time, something they can’t always do because they are understaffed. Even if it was just for 2 hours, I’m so glad I could have helped in some way. I’m so thankful these kids could have this beautiful haven in En Kerem.
 
This is Avi, he’s 18 and loves to walk the dog Pam and hold your hand. I miss him and want to go back to see how my new friend.



















Afterwards, we got some yummy pizza and ice cream. My friends are so great and got me this awesome Belgian waffle with ice cream for my b-day. Seriously ZE BEST. It was a beautiful day in a beautiful place with beautiful people.







Lesson learned: Our capacity to sincerely love people increases as we serve them.

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! I love seeing your pics!

    Kaeli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Those kids are too cute! I'm glad you were able to give them more attention!

    ReplyDelete