Friday, November 2, 2012

Camels and Grandmas

Zoe Suzuki
adventurer extraordinaire of a grandma. 
Let me just say I have the coolest grandparents ever. Both my grandmas grew up in small towns in Idaho/Wyoming. One married a charming lad from Scottland and the other a brilliant man from Japan. It makes sense why I am loving all these international men, it's in my blood.
With the passing of my grandma Zoe I've been thinking a lot about the power of a legacy. Because of her wonderful example to my mom, my mom in turn has been the best example to me of patience, love, and service. Because of my grandma my extended family has gathered near the beautiful Tetons every summer where the tradition of gaming, outdooring, loving, and adventuring has been instilled into all of us. Because she lived in Michigan, I loved Michigan. Because of her intelligence and independence she became a nurse and decided to go help in Japan after the war where she met my grandpa who was studying the effects of the atomic bomb. Because of their love they endured interracial marriage persecution where they had to go to a completely different state to be lawfully wed. Because of her adventuring spirit, she traveled the world and took this picture in Egypt on a camel, inspiring my world travel. Because of her dry humor and spunk she made us all laugh. Because of her humility and love she showed us how to live a life full of purpose and gratitude.  Because of her I am reminded who I want to be. A mother, a person who knows how to strike a balance between fun and learning, a world traveler, a wife, a supporter of education, a latter day saint, a comedian, a friend, a person of integrity, and a person who chooses love despite the challenges. So grandma, I'm sure you have internet access in heaven and I hope you know how beloved and appreciate you are in my life. This picture is just for you. 

Pretty cool that my grandma and I got to be in 2 out of the 7 wonders of the world on camels.
Giza, Egypt
Petra, Jordan
Alta, Wyoming


Lesson learned: a tomb stone on the coast of Turkey from the battle of Gallipoli I thought was simply beautiful and applicable to my grandma.


2 comments:

  1. Yay, you posted and as always I loved it! What a sweet tribute. Miss you, but am grateful to experience these amazing places through your eyes and impressions:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! What a great tribute to your grandma. She must be an amazing lady. And I love how you give a lesson learned at the end of every blog post.

    ReplyDelete